Monday, November 06, 2006

Lord! Make me the person my dog thinks I am.

I've learned a lot in the last month.

I've learned how to turn out a really cool Blogger page.
I've learned that someone in China can make anything you want.

I've learned that people are kind and generous.

In the month since Tyler's accident, I have been deeply involved with a tireless group of individuals. Our mission, to give love and support to Tyler and his family for as long as they need it. Meals are cooked, bills are covertly paid, fuel tanks filled...whatever it takes for as long as it takes.

We sent out an appeal for money. A mailing to the members of the community whose lives we know Tyler has touched. I must admit, I was skeptical and did not really think that we would receive much. I have been overwhelmed.

The local newspaper ran a short article about Tyler and his accident. From just that one article, in the sports pages we have received hundreds, if not thousands of dollars. One woman with small children, whose husband was killed not one month before in the same type of accident, gave $500. People who never met Tyler are sending notes with crisp $20 bills enclosed. One man, who has a severe developmental disability gave us $6. I know it was all he had. All summer at the basketball program. I let him "help" me clean up the returnable soda cans, and he can return them for the deposits.

I think of the woman in the bible. You know the one who could only give two cents...

And all of this has made me wonder.

I look at the list of those who have given, and wonder how many times my name was not on lists like that.

I ask myself if I have been the kind of friend who, if this was one of my children, would I receive the same treatment.

I understand the power of friendship. I know my true friends (internet or not ;) ) are not just friends, they are family. I would go to the ends of the earth for them, I would raise their children if need be, I might even give them a kidney if they asked nice.

A faithful friend is a sturdy shelter; he who finds one finds a treasure.
A faithful friend is beyond price, no sum can balance his worth.
A faithful friend is the medicine of life; and they that fear the Lord shall find him.

4 comments:

Amber said...

When will Lola write a blog entry that doesn't make me misty eyed?

Traci said...

Kelley, how is Tyler doing? I've been praying for his recovery since you first blogged about him.

Your community rocks!!! God Bless all those people who helped! And God Bless you too.

Unknown said...

I'm with Amber on that one also.

That is really cool that you people to pull together like that. :)

monica said...

Wowie Lola~ That's awesome that the community is helping. I think we underestimate the good that's out there in people sometimes! Glad to see that family being touched by it!!