Monday, November 27, 2006

Looking at the Glass Half Baked

Workout Boop for gramma in a wheelchair, that sounds kind of... well, funny, to be honest. - Holly
Why does all the crazy stuff always happen to you? - Amber
Someday we'll look back on this and it will all seem funny - Bruce
Pessimists look at the glass half empty.
Optimists look at the glass half full.
I look at the glass half baked.
I've always been the kind of person to find humor in the wierdest things. I laugh a funerals. Really.
My favorite old Aunt died in May of 1988. Her sister died six weeks later. At the second funeral in 1988, I found a dime on the floor. I threw it in the casket. Now you have to know that this was an Italian funeral, complete with hired mourners. People looked at me like I was some sort of loon. My Grandfather asked me why I would do such a thing. I just said, " You know when Aunt Jo gets where she's going, she's gonna have to call Aunt Sadie"
I think it's funny that tonight on HBO, Brokeback Mountain is being followed by "The Nativity:First Look"
I find it crazy that Kate's friend was distressed because she couldn't find any "Baby's First Hanukkah" ornaments.
I love stuff that makes you say "You can't make this stuff up!"
It started out as a coping mechanism as a little kid, and just evolved into a really warped sense of humor. Funny stuff happens in our worlds every day, but usually we are too angry to see the humor in it all. Usually I keep it to myself, but sometimes I just can't.
And yesterday, I brought my warped sense of humor to the Dutchess County Department of Social Services to apply for Medicaid for my grandmother.
When got there, I had to fill out the application, wait on a Disneyland style line to hand it in, and then sit on the Group W bench with Mother Rapers, Father Stabbers, Father Rapers.....well, you get the idea. I had to sit and wait until I was called to review the application with a public service employee.
Somewhere this is where it all went south....
Behind me sat 5 twenty somethings whose conversation revealed that they were unable to work because they were depressed. I couldn't help thinking that if they got a job they would be less depressed. Now I understand depression. I have a bi-polar sister. But she feels better when she is in a manic state and she has money to spend.
I started to judge people as they walked in. I made up stories in my head about everyone that came and went in the hour and 10 minutes that I waited for my name to be called. Who was a crack whore, who was the man who heard voices, who was the welfare mom with baby #9 (that was easy...I can count)
And then it hit me.
There I sat, on the Group W bench, in a Brown Geoffrey Beene Skirt, Lime Green Geoffrey Beene sweater, London Fog Suede jacket, Nine West Shoes, Kate Spade sunglasses holding a Coach Purse, and I realized that I was the freak. I was probably making these people nervous, maybe I heard voices, carried a gun, was a crack whore...
Then I started laughing, and people moved away from me, afraid for their lives.
Lucky for them, Mr Grunch (his real name, HONEST) called me into his super secret office.
I could hear a sigh of relief as I left the room.

7 comments:

Larilyn said...

I always use the line "You can't make this stuff up." I think that's why I like you so much. You'd laugh when I'd say it. ;)

Unknown said...

I agree...I think that's why I get along with you so well Kelley. I have an extrememly warped sense of humor. The fact that The Nativity thing followed Brokeback Mountain is about the funniest thing I've heard all week. :)

And I TOTALLY make up stories about people when I'm people watching. It's especially fun to do at Disneyland. haha

monica said...

Oh my GAWD Kelley..you make me laugh out loud or cry everytime I read something. You SO need to consider writing a book!! My favorite saying, which is gonna work when I finally do meet you..."if you don't have nothing nice to say honey, come sit by me"

Joanne said...

Kelley, looking at it from your angle always puts a smile on my face. :)

Amber said...

You were wearing a sweater and a jacket? It must've been cold. Brrrr.

If judging people just for kicks is wrong - then I don't want to be right! :0)

Traci said...

Good one Kelley.

Life is full of entertainment, you just have to take a look around.

Terry said...

Man and you didnt even have to go to disneyland to people watch!! Did you check out their shoes? Any pictures by any chance? I bet they thought you were undercover....LOL